If you read the summary of my newest vehicle (About the Chevy K2500), you’ll see that I ran into a smell issue. Mice and ants had made their homes in the truck during its two year sabbatical in the field. I thought the smell might go away if I removed the ants’ dirt from the door seals at the floor. That’s where it seemed like the smell was coming from. It turns out the smell was under the vinyl floor cover and it was just coming out where the ants had opened up the seals. So I eventually had to rip out the flooring:
Once the vinyl flooring was up, I saw the old girl had some rusting going on. The sound-deading material and insulation was even wet when I took it out. The truck had been stored in a dry shop for about a month and a half at this point, so this was probably never going to dry out without removing it.
So I decided to leave the floor covering out and sand then paint the floor with rust-reforming paint. I used this to paint the floor: Rust-Oleum Automotive Rust Reformer Spray.
After a few months, I tried to wipe down the painted floor to remove dust. I realized the rust reformer is easily wiped off and is more of a priming tool. I am planning on covering it all with Rust-Oleum Semi-Gloss Black paint soon. I will update this post with how that turns out.